Skip to main content

Grammar

Conditionals

Have you ever heard this word❓ Do you know how to use one❓ If you don't know the answer for the last question, read the following ❷ conversations and try to guess. Good luck 🍀❗

💬
Alex: Are you taking your ✇🚙📝 this Friday, aren't you❓
Sara: If I pass the ✇🚙📝 , I'll give a 🎉🎶.

💬
Alice: How was the 📝❓
Rose: It was hard.
Alice: If I were you, I'd 👊 the 📚 for the next 📝.

Did you guess how to use conditionals❓ Well; if you are 😕, don´t 😟 don´t 😢. Let´s see their uses😉.

Conditionals are often used to talk about possible events and their effects. There are four main kinds of them.

Zero Conditional
This kind of conditional talk about a general conditional, or something which is always true, a fact.
      When you heat water to 100°C, it boils.
         ↳ If/When + present tense   |   present tense
*In the previous example you is a general subject meaning anyone or people in general.

First Contional
This type of conditional is used to talk about likely events in the future if an event happens.
      If I pass the driving test, I'll give a party.
      ↳ If/When + present tense   |   future tense
*Use if and when have different meanings.
   + Use if when you are unsure of the situation will happen.
   + Use when for a situation which you know will happen.
**If you are sure about the result use will/won't. If you are not sure, use could or might.

Second Conditional
We use this sort of conditional to talk about unlikely or impossible situations.
      When I won the lottery, I'd travel around the world.
           ↳ If/When + past tense   |  would/could/migth + verb (inf.)
Also you can give advice using 'If I were you...'.
      If I were you, I'd hit the books for the exam.
      ↳ If I were you, I would...

Third Conditional
Used to speculate about the past. It means that you can use this when you talk about an resulted event of other that never happend.
      If I had studied last night, I might have passed the exam with flying colours.
      ↳ If/When + past perfect   |   would/could/might + have + past participle


Remember❗
When you talk about a general conditional, you shoud use the zero conditional structure:  If/When + present tense   |   present tense.
In order to talk about likely events in the future if an event happens; use the first conditional structure: If/When + present tense   |   future tense.
In case you want to  talk about unlikely or impossible situations, use the second conditional structure: If/When + past tense   |   would/could/migth + verb (inf.)
'If I were you, I'd...' is a phrase used to give advice.
Use third conditional to speculate about the past.
If/When + past perfect   |   would/could/might + have + past participle


I hope that everyone can understand this lesson. Tell me in the 💬 if you have any question. 
In case you want to know when a new lesson is available, subscribe🔝😀.

Download PDF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'it´s all Greek to me ' 👋 guys❗ How is it going❓ Have you ever heard this proverb❓ Maybe, you know its meaning because your grandma has told you it so many times. If you have never heard this saying,  you could get  😕  after you read it or maybe you´ve just guessed the meaning. Well, don´t be 😟, don´t 😢. Let me tell you it. 👨👩 say  'It/something is all Greek to them'   to mean that they can not understand that. Origin The origin youto keepiously comes from the incident of Van Gogh, the painter cutting his left ear off after a series of mental illnesses. But the literary origin of the phrase is not available. Van Gogh, after cutting his ear off and rendering himself totally deaf continued to play loud music and tried to sing along too. He was always off key of course. So the expression also refers to someone who can’t sing very well.Source:  theidioms.co For example:      Antoine tried to teach me how to play ...
'Time flies ' 👋 guys❗ How is it going❓ Have you ever heard this proverb❓ Maybe, you know its meaning because your grandpather has told you it so many times. If you have never heard this saying,  you could get  😕  after you read it or maybe you´ve just guessed the meaning. Well, don´t be 😟, don´t 😢. Let me tell you it. 👨👩 say  'Time flies '   to mean that   'Time seems to pass very quickly' . Origin The origin youto keepiously comes from the incident of Van Gogh, the painter cutting his left ear off after a series of mental illnesses. But the literary origin of the phrase is not available. Van Gogh, after cutting his ear off and rendering himself totally deaf continued to play loud music and tried to sing along too. He was always off key of course. So the expression also refers to someone who can’t sing very well.Source:  theidioms.co For example:      Jean, you must eat fruits, especially 🍏s. Remember...

Confusing Words

Rent vs. Let Hi guys❗ I'm sure that you have ever heard these words, which sometimes are confused. Do you know what the difference between them is❓ If you don't know it, read the following  ❷  conversations and try to guess. Good luck 🍀❗ 💬 Alice: I'm getting married the next moth. Louis: Congratulations❗ Alice: This is an invitation to my wedding. Louis:  Many thanks❗ Alice: You're welcome❗ Do you know where Maggie lives ❓ I wanna give her one. Louis: She   rents  a flat in the centre of the city. 💬 James: I wanna move from my parent's 🏡. Do you know somebody who rents a room❓ Jeff: Yes. Me. I  let  the spare rooms to tourists. Now, I have one available. Did you guess the difference between these verbs ❓ Well; if you are 😕, don´t 😟 don´t 😢. Let´s see their uses 😉. Rent To pay 💰 to 👨👩 so that you can use something that they own, like a 🏡, machine, etc., for a long period of ⏳.      ...