Skip to main content

Grammar

Question Tags

Have you ever heard about them❓ Do you know how to use one❓ If you don't know the answer for the last question, read the following ❹ conversations and try to guess. Good luck 🍀❗

💬
Jake: You 👊 the 📚 for the exam, didn't you❓
Sara:  Yes, I did. If I pass it with flying colours, I'll give a 🎉🎶.

💬
Sue: I'm not late again, aren't I❓
Axl: No. It's just 6:30 am.

💬
Matt : Mathew lives in 🇿🇦, does he❓
Dave: Yes, that's right. He moved to 🇿🇦 two months ago.

💬
Chris: You used to play 🏓, did you❓
Rose: No, not actually 🏓, but I play 🎾.

Did you guess how to use question tags❓ Well; if you are 😕, don´t 😟. Let´s see their uses❗

Question Tags are questions added to a clause to invite a respond from the listener.


There are two types of them.

Type 1
This kind of question tags consists of an affirmative clause/sentence and a negative tag, or a negative sentence and an affirmative tag.
      You hit the books for the exam, didn't you?
          ↳     Subject + past tense    |  didn't + subject ?
                 Affirmative sentence    |    negative tag 
      I'm not late again, aren't I?
          ↳  S + be + not |  be + S ?
               (-) sentence  |  (+) tag
*If there is no auxiliary or modal verb in the clause, we use auxiliary do, does, did in the tag.
**When we use I am in the sentence, then we use aren’t I in the tag.


Type 2
It consists of an affirmative clause/sentence and an affirmative tag. We can use this kind of tags when we are unsure of the info, so the intonation is usually a rising tone.
      Mathew lives in South Africa, does he?
          ↳ Subject + present tense |  does + subject ?
                Affirmative sentence   |    affirmative tag
     You used to play table tennis, did you?
          ↳     Subject + past tense | did + subject ?
                 Affirmative sentence | affirmative tag
 *When we use used to in the sentence, then we use did in the tag.

I hope that everyone can understand this lesson. Tell me in the 💬 if you have any question. 
In case you want to know when a new lesson is available, subscribe 🔝 😀.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'it´s all Greek to me ' 👋 guys❗ How is it going❓ Have you ever heard this proverb❓ Maybe, you know its meaning because your grandma has told you it so many times. If you have never heard this saying,  you could get  😕  after you read it or maybe you´ve just guessed the meaning. Well, don´t be 😟, don´t 😢. Let me tell you it. 👨👩 say  'It/something is all Greek to them'   to mean that they can not understand that. Origin The origin youto keepiously comes from the incident of Van Gogh, the painter cutting his left ear off after a series of mental illnesses. But the literary origin of the phrase is not available. Van Gogh, after cutting his ear off and rendering himself totally deaf continued to play loud music and tried to sing along too. He was always off key of course. So the expression also refers to someone who can’t sing very well.Source:  theidioms.co For example:      Antoine tried to teach me how to play ...
'Time flies ' 👋 guys❗ How is it going❓ Have you ever heard this proverb❓ Maybe, you know its meaning because your grandpather has told you it so many times. If you have never heard this saying,  you could get  😕  after you read it or maybe you´ve just guessed the meaning. Well, don´t be 😟, don´t 😢. Let me tell you it. 👨👩 say  'Time flies '   to mean that   'Time seems to pass very quickly' . Origin The origin youto keepiously comes from the incident of Van Gogh, the painter cutting his left ear off after a series of mental illnesses. But the literary origin of the phrase is not available. Van Gogh, after cutting his ear off and rendering himself totally deaf continued to play loud music and tried to sing along too. He was always off key of course. So the expression also refers to someone who can’t sing very well.Source:  theidioms.co For example:      Jean, you must eat fruits, especially 🍏s. Remember...

Confusing Words

Rent vs. Let Hi guys❗ I'm sure that you have ever heard these words, which sometimes are confused. Do you know what the difference between them is❓ If you don't know it, read the following  ❷  conversations and try to guess. Good luck 🍀❗ 💬 Alice: I'm getting married the next moth. Louis: Congratulations❗ Alice: This is an invitation to my wedding. Louis:  Many thanks❗ Alice: You're welcome❗ Do you know where Maggie lives ❓ I wanna give her one. Louis: She   rents  a flat in the centre of the city. 💬 James: I wanna move from my parent's 🏡. Do you know somebody who rents a room❓ Jeff: Yes. Me. I  let  the spare rooms to tourists. Now, I have one available. Did you guess the difference between these verbs ❓ Well; if you are 😕, don´t 😟 don´t 😢. Let´s see their uses 😉. Rent To pay 💰 to 👨👩 so that you can use something that they own, like a 🏡, machine, etc., for a long period of ⏳.      ...